#7 Knowledge needs to be addressed more explicitly: change request accepted
SFIA's position on knowledge while correct does need to be reviewed and enhanced. Few seem to understand the position or why the particular position was taken. Knowledge needs to be revisited and addressed in such a way that it is clearly understood and allows the position to be used effectively.
This requirement has come about because:
- Several large organisations and professional bodies have requested that the Foundation addresses knowledge.
- Many people think that SFIA does not address the importance of knowledge and do not understand the position in the reference guide.
- As a result of many discussions and collaborations I have a formed a view and proposal for how this can be properly addressed And this needs to be worked on more widely.
It is clearly required by industry, business, academia and training providers.
Subject to approval to take this change request forward, then this can be fleshed out for wider review and contribution. In summary we should:
- Clarify the SFIA position regarding knowledge in the reference guide
- Introduce a model to address knowledge into the Framework
- Consider one component of this to be an inclusion of knowledge in the generics
Further to be provided once accepted for development.
Attached to Levels of responsibility
What we decided
What we changed
Addition of a new generic responsibility for knowledge at all level 1 to 7.
Addition of a Knowledge management skill at level 2 to 7.
Guidance notes to be published as part of SFIA7 reference material.