#16 SINT - Improvements to address needs of Software Engineering : change request accepted
Some changes in emphasis and wording across the Skill description and skill level descriptions to ensure Software Engineering is addressed.
Areas to review:
- How to reflect importance of automation throughout full life cycle of development and support to match skills for roles like Tool Architect, DevOps Engineers
- Avoid confusion between software, systems, software engineering and systems engineering
- Name of subcategory could be changed to better reflect life-cycle e.g. "integration and Installation"
- Skill description refers to "operational services" - could this be "services and systems"
This change request is one of a number which are proposing revisions to SFIA to ensure it fully supports Software Engineering while retaining overall industry wide applicability and integrity.
The updates will support:
- The Software Engineering & Technology industry, it's employers and professionals to close skill gaps, attract and retain talent and improve the performance and productivity of engineers
- Alignment of Software Engineering training / accreditation
- Professional development through the IEEE-CS and other professional bodies representing software engineers
- Universities, technical institutes, and other higher education organisations to support professional education and accreditation and enhance the employability of their students
Also need to consider the relationship (e.g. unique skills and overlapping skills) between Software Engineering and IT.
Attached to Name change: Systems integration and build
What we decided
What we changed
Name changed to Systems integration and build.
All skill levels and overall skill description have been updated.