#14 CFMG - Improvements to address needs of Software Engineering: change request pending
Some changes in emphasis and wording across the Skill description and skill level descriptions to ensure Software Engineering is addressed.
Areas to review:
- Need to explicitly cover config management for software, process, project, product, service Configuration Items (CIs) as well as service assets
- Make sure this skill is is usable across full software development and service management life cycle and does not constrain
- Applicability to language used in DevOps cultures
- Cross check implications of automation to this skill area – make sure responsibilities described are applicable to both automated tools and manual activity
- Consider the best position for this in SFIA’s category/sub-category structure i.e. the skill is not constrained to Service transition
- Check , clarify relationship of CFMG with PORT (Porting/Software Configuration)
This change request is one of a number which are proposing revisions to SFIA to ensure it fully supports Software Engineering while retaining overall industry wide applicability and integrity.
The updates will support:
- The Software Engineering & Technology industry, it's employers and professionals to close skill gaps, attract and retain talent and improve the performance and productivity of engineers
- Alignment of Software Engineering training / accreditation
- Professional development through the IEEE-CS and other professional bodies representing software engineers
- Universities, technical institutes, and other higher education organisations to support professional education and accreditation and enhance the employability of their students
Also need to consider the relationship (e.g. unique skills and overlapping skills) between Software Engineering and IT.
Attached to Configuration management