#13 SYSP - Improvements to address needs of Software Engineering: change request pending
Some changes in emphasis and wording across the Skill description and skill level descriptions to ensure Software Engineering is addressed.
Areas to review:
- This is written only / primarily from an operational support point of view. i.e. it does not consider the skill of creating systems software.
- Requirement is to be able to describe skills for the creation of systems software not just maintenance - is that adequately covered in SFIA Software development/programming skill (PROG)
- Is Systems software the best terminology – does it add to the confusion between software engineering and systems engineering?
- Could this be combined with SFIA Systems installation / decommissioning (HSIN) or Porting / software configuration (PORT) skills
This change request is one of a number which are proposing revisions to SFIA to ensure it fully supports Software Engineering while retaining overall industry wide applicability and integrity.
The updates will support:
- The Software Engineering & Technology industry, it's employers and professionals to close skill gaps, attract and retain talent and improve the performance and productivity of engineers
- Alignment of Software Engineering training / accreditation
- Professional development through the IEEE-CS and other professional bodies representing software engineers
- Universities, technical institutes, and other higher education organisations to support professional education and accreditation and enhance the employability of their students
Also need to consider the relationship (e.g. unique skills and overlapping skills) between Software Engineering and IT.
Attached to System software