#34 Update the Data Skills to reflect new data thinking: change request accepted
Given the increased importance of data in digital transformation, interoperability and 'large data' capabilities and directions a number of data skills need to be revised and enhanced.
From Australian Public Sector SFIA Forum:
Debate around informatics and data. Generally all felt that the existing SFIA skills around data could encompass the needs of informatics but only for those very knowledgeable about the details in each data related skill.
The justification for suggesting additional data related skills is as follows:
- There is a significant drive for large integration of data and interoperability of systems
- IT is to a large extent the engine for ensuring that the data can be used and not the driver.
- The importance of data in terms of what it is, its quality and integrity is often more important then the systems that manage it
As a comparison there are 20 service management skills but only about 5 data skills and the language focuses doesn't reflect the importance of data adn its use.
The following, at least, need to be considereed for review:
- Data Governance
- Data Quality
- Data Science
- Data Management
- Data Analysis
Attached to Information strategy
What we decided
Accepted. A wide review of all data related skills in SFIA against industry standard frameworks to highlight any gaps and opportunities.
What we changed
- Analytics (INAN),
- Information management (IRMG)
- Data management (DATM)
- Storage management (STMG)
- Database design (DBDS)
- Database administration (DBAD)
- Quality management (QUMS)
- Quality assurance (QUAS)
- Data visualisation (VISL)
- tbc - skill for developing data management culture, maturity and capabilities
Rename and update:
- Data analysis to Data modelling and design
Develop user guide for applicability of SFIA for Big Data and Informatics including suggested skills mapping to sample data - related roles.