#33 Data Science - New Skill?: change request accepted
A new data science skill is required.
From Australian Public Sector SFIA Forum:
Debate around informatics and data. Generally all felt that the existing SFIA skills around data could encompass the needs of informatics but only for those very knowledgeable about the details in each data related skill.
The justification for suggesting additional data related skills is as follows:
- There is a significant drive for large integration of data and interoperability of systems
- IT is to a large extent the engine for ensuring that the data can be used and not the driver.
- The importance of data in terms of what it is, its quality and integrity is often more important then the systems that manage it
As a comparison there are 20 service management skills but only about 5 data skills and the language focuses doesn't reflect the importance of data adn its use.
Attached to Analytics
What we decided
Accepted. Requirement is to explain which SFIA skills are relevant to Data Scientist role.
What we changed
- There are anumber of skills in SFIA7 which Data Scientists can utilise. Note the general caveat that SFIA skills need to be considered in the context of the employing organisation (e.g, employer's business objectives, organisation design, role design, specific roles and responsiblities).
# - updated for SFIA7, ## - major update for SFIA7, * - additional skill for SFIA7
Candidate skills for Data Scientist
- Programming/software development ##
- Analytics ##
- Data visualisation *
- Data management
- Systems design #
- Solution architecture #
- Research ##
- Emerging technology monitoring ##
- Specialist advice ##
- Data modelling and design #
- Database design #
- Database administration #
- Business modelling
- Storage management