#12 PROG - Improvements to address needs of Software Engineering : change request accepted
Some changes in emphasis and wording across the Skill description and skill level descriptions to ensure Software Engineering is addressed.
Areas to review:
- Does PROG cover construction of what SFIA currently calls “Systems software ”
- Describe skills related to creating standards / polices at an organisation / industry level - somewhat covered in DLMG but more focussed and not resource, delivery management etc. Could be met by level 6 skill for PROG
- Also consider how SFIA addresses skills for “configurable / business rules driven applications”. E.g. SAP, Salesforce, Guidewire
- Does PROG adequately describe Real time systems development / embedded systems development
This change request is one of a number which are proposing revisions to SFIA to ensure it fully supports Software Engineering while retaining overall industry wide applicability and integrity.
The updates will support:
- The Software Engineering & Technology industry, it's employers and professionals to close skill gaps, attract and retain talent and improve the performance and productivity of engineers
- Alignment of Software Engineering training / accreditation
- Professional development through the IEEE-CS and other professional bodies representing software engineers
- Universities, technical institutes, and other higher education organisations to support professional education and accreditation and enhance the employability of their students
Also need to consider the relationship (e.g. unique skills and overlapping skills) between Software Engineering and IT.
Attached to Programming/software development
What we decided
Accepted. See "What we Changed" section for details.
What we changed
All skill levels and overall skill description have been updated.
New level 6 created.